Choose a topic
- First, write a list of the main subject areas that will affect your speech. It can be about some subject, process, event or even idea. If you write a speech for the school, you should choose a topic in which you are very well versed. You may have such knowledge from your own experience, which may not even be found in books.
- Think about broader subject areas for your information message based on what you like to do.
- Think about the subject areas in which you do not understand yet, but would very much like to.
- Narrow down your list of subject areas to those. You approximately have to evaluate whether you will be able to open your topic in the allotted time. Choose a scheme by which you will represent the topic and which will manage the attention of the audience.
Try to make your speech not only important but also interesting. If you talk about common and important things that everyone already knows, your speech will be boring and filled with background details that are not entirely relevant to your topic. For example, imagine an informative speech about the development of video games, in which the speaker hit into details about visualization, file management, and level design, which is the same in all games. This speech will turn out to be quite long and it will be hard for her to listen to all those who are not particularly keen on developing video games.
Research your topic
- Conduct an initial study of the topic. When writing an informational speech, there is one rule: Know your subject. Do research honestly and carefully, use reliable sources and take notes on the go.
- Before writing a speech, evaluate your audience. Suppose that the public is not very well versed in your topic. (That’s why you will speak to them, right?) With this in mind, you still need to give some general information. Do not miss important information, trying to briefly explain your topic.
- Make a sketch of the speech. Make a list of information that you want to include in the speech, and arrange it in a logical sequence.