There is the varying objective of having the bilingual education in the system and it is not necessary to have learned both the languages in the balanced form in the classroom. There are various conflicting politics and philosophies of what actual bilingual education is for. There are ten aims of having bilingual education:
- To assimilate groups or individuals into conventional society.
- To make sure that the people are able to have a conversation outside their own world.
- To bring together the multilingual society.
- To make sure that the people are educated to have skills that can market them, aiding employment and status.
- To medicate and reconcile among political and linguistic communities.
- To save the religious and ethnic identities.
- To make the bond strong for elite groups and have a good position in society.
- To spread over the usage of colonial language.
- To make the understanding strong about the language and culture.
- To provide equal status in law to languages of unequal status in everyday life.
Now it can be understood easily from the list above that there are many purposes of schools providing bilingual education. Government policies are made that shows how languages affect education. Some minority groups aim to have taught their children in their language while others tend to follow the language commonly used in the places they live. Mostly the education is provided in the language that is the first language of the nation, and the government makes sure that education is provided in that language only.
But the question arises about the minority group’s children that tend to gain an education in a different language, what will be the program for them. Other than that there are countries where religious believers and cultures are given more importance and these nations also want to make their children learn the native language along with the English language. So to facilitate them, the bilingual education system is made. Various education programs are made that have two languages and are two based on two cultures.